Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Suggestions on free XP hard drive wiping utilities?

From: Robert Funderburk <robfunderburk () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:39:21 -0500

One guy that I work with from time to time told me about a utility he used
to wipe hard drives for a government job.  It was called Triple Erase.  It
makes 3 passes over the entie disk.  On the first pass it writes all 0's,
then it writes all 1's and on the third pass it writes all 0's again.  Now,
if there is a way to recover the data on the disk after that, I would like
to see someone do it.