Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security+

From: "Christian Hampson" <champson () hampsonservices com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:39:18 -0800

Mr. Taplin:

I would say that it could not hurt to do the Security+ certification.  I
took the beta and found it to be a good basic security certification.

If you have not yet done any security work, you would not qualify for
the CISSP.  You might qualify to take the SSCP exam, which requires "at
least 1 year of cumulative work experience in one or more of the seven
test domains in information systems [IS] security. Valid experience
includes information systems security-related work performed as a
practitioner or that which requires IS security knowledge and involves
direct application of that knowledge." (quoted from
https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?page=46).

Since the Security+ exam is so new, I do not know how many people who
are in a position to hire would would give any weight to this
certification.

I hope you found this at least somewhat helpful.

Christian Hampson, MCSE, CISSP, Security+
champson () hampsonservices com