Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security+

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 11:56:11 -0500

I happen to have sitting around (some of these links may now be bad,
there has been stuff that I have not added):

CISSP articles

1.      "Testing Your Mettle: The Six-Hour, 250-Question CISSP Exam" at
http://certcities.com/editorial/exams/story.asp?EditorialsID=25

2.      "Secure With Your Security Pros' at
http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO48432,00.html

3.      "New IS Security Requisites " at
http://www.informationweek.com/765/65uwjm.htm

4.      "Security Demand Increases" at
http://www.antiOnline.com/2001/07/03/DMRG/0000-5784-KEYWORD.Missing.html

5.      "Hunt for Security" at http://www.informationweek.com/632/32mtsec.htm

6.      "Need Security?  Get a real expert!" at
http://www.informationweek.com/780/80uwjm.htm

7.      "Secure With Your Security Pros" at
http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO48432,00.html

8.      "FAA to develop security certification" at
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/0814/web-faa-08-15-00.asp

9.      "BNA'S HEALTH CARE POLICY REPORT ISSN 1068-1213 BNA 11-23-98"  at
http://www.isc2.org/newscissparticles.html#BNA
10.     "Computers at Risk - Safe Computing in the Information Age" at
http://www.isc2.org/newscissparticles.html#risk
11.     "A Look at CISSP Certification" at
http://www.scmagazine.com/scmagazine/1998_04/lastword/lastword.html
12.     "Should you take the CISSP exam?" at http://www.gocsi.com/cissp.htm
13.     "New security certification program draws feds" at
http://www.gcn.com/vol20_no3/news/3641-1.html
14.     "What Does CISSP Mean?" at
http://www.miora.com/articles/art-cissp.html
15.     "Certification: For Professionals Only " at
http://www.scmagazine.com/scmagazine/9705/article4.html (also CISA)
16.     "Stay Safe In An Unsafe World" at
http://www.informationweek.com/784/security.htm
17.     "Sizing up Security Services " at
http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47-81_STO54345,00.html
18.     "Wanted: Security Superman" at
http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO51025,00.html
19.     "Some security training and certification options " at
http://www.fcw.com/supplements/Security/2000/sec-cert-04-10-00.asp
20.     "FAA infosec workers get lift   " at
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/0918/mgt-faa-09-18-00.asp
21.     "Does Your Organization Need a CISSP?" at
http://advisor.com/Articles.nsf/aid/SHAUK03
22.     "Certifiably secured" at
http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/ca/xml/01/07/09/010709casecurity.xml
23.     "Information Security Certification: A Rule of Thumb  "  at
http://www.netspace.net.au/~newdawn/47b.html
24.     10 Hottest Certifications for 2002 at
http://www.certcities.com/editorial/features/story.asp?EditorialsID=37
25.     "Techies turn to security training - Credentials can be a
differentiator" at
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002/0107/mgt-train-01-07-02.asp
26.       "Tiny Slices Of Opportunity for Jobless Techies
(washingtonpost.com) " at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6460-2002Jan6.html
27.     "WhiteHat Fights Cyber Crime in the Classroom; First Line of Defence
Starts in the Classroom" at
http://biz.yahoo.com/ccn/020111/xgrzj9zrldlczj_gzyuzqa_1.html

28.      "A Certified Waste of Time" at
http://www.net-security.org/cgi-bin/news.cgi?url=http://online.securityfocus.com/columnists/67
29.     "WHERE ARE YOU? " at http://vnunet.com/News/1131410
30.

CISA Articles

1.      "International Recognition Fuels CISAR Growth" at
http://www.osu.edu/units/uts/isaca-centralohio/articles/article1_3-99.htm
2.      "International Recognition Fuels Rapid Growth of CISA Certification"
at
http://www.osu.edu/units/uts/isaca-centralohio/articles/article2_9-98.htm
3.      "What's Happening In The IS Audit Job Market?" at
http://www.osu.edu/units/uts/isaca-centralohio/articles/article1_9-98.htm
4.
5.

Other

1.      Companies Need Security Pros With More Varied Skills - July 09, 2001
at http://computerworld.com/nlt/1%2C3590%2CNAV64_STO61965_NLTc%2C00.html

2.      Getting Started In Computer Forensics - July 09, 2001 at
http://computerworld.com/nlt/1%2C3590%2CNAV64_STO61876_NLTc%2C00.html

3.      Deadly Pursuit - July 09, 2001 at
http://computerworld.com/nlt/1%2C3590%2CNAV64_STO61884_NLTc%2C00.html

4.      The Guardian - July 09, 2001 at
http://computerworld.com/nlt/1%2C3590%2CNAV64_STO61984_NLTc%2C00.html

Mike Heitz wrote:

I'm new to Security (just had it heaped on me after my last performance
review) and am interested in some Certs. I've heard mention of the CISSP
before, and have seen articles on the Security+. I have really no
programming background and have limited access to funds for training,
etc... most of my training is through ordering a book from Amazon or
something and trying the stuff out.

So my question is, am I going to be way over my head looking into these
certs? I have been an admin for Novell for 5 years, and have spent the
last 3 years in an NT/2000 environment. I want to learn as much as
possible, but really don't like using things like Transcender just to
pass a test. I want to "KNOW" what I am doing.  :)

Any advice????

mike heitz ** sr it manager ** UPSHOT
312-943-0900 x5190