Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security+

From: Jack McCarthy <jack () jackmccarthy com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 10:31:42 -0800 (PST)

I'm in a similar situation.  I'm not a pro by a long shot, but here are some things that have
helped me...at least get a better handle on 'some' of the concepts.  I'm still a long way off from
being a security professional...

Build a home network (or some sort of test network) and include the following:
-A broadband connection. DSL or Cable. If you can afford it, have two separate connections - two
modems.  Keep one network connected as a regular connection so you can check email and online
documents (technical docs and PDFs) and the other modem connected to your test network.  This way
when you are trying to get (in my case) your UNIX-like firewall/router working and tying up one
network, you still have the other network to access the Internet and look up online documentation
and check email.  Instead of switching back and forth every time you need to check email.

Have the following equipment:
-UNIX or a UNIX-like box.   e.g. OpenBSD.
-Linux box. Your pick.
-NT/2000 boxes.
-Hubs/switches.

-Build your own firewall/router. UNIX or Linux. If you can get your hands on a Firewall-1, even
better.
-Build your own IDS.  Snort is free.
-Learn how to use Nmap.
-http://project.honeynet.org/ and read all submissions of 'Scan of the Month'.
-You have to learn programming!  Being able to read code (a.k.a. exploits) is an absolute MUST!
I'm studding C programming now.

-Read all the security news, articles, mailing lists that you possibly can.
-Go to securityfocus.com and get on all of their mailing lists.  (Obviously you've already been
there).
-Read, read, read...

Anyone feel free to expand on this?  Improve or rebut my ideas/strategies?

I’d be interested to hear what other people are doing to gain more knowledge/experience.

-Jack

--- Mike Heitz <mikeheitz () upshotmail com> wrote:
I'm new to Security (just had it heaped on me after my last performance
review) and am interested in some Certs. I've heard mention of the CISSP
before, and have seen articles on the Security+. I have really no
programming background and have limited access to funds for training,
etc... most of my training is through ordering a book from Amazon or
something and trying the stuff out.

So my question is, am I going to be way over my head looking into these
certs? I have been an admin for Novell for 5 years, and have spent the
last 3 years in an NT/2000 environment. I want to learn as much as
possible, but really don't like using things like Transcender just to
pass a test. I want to "KNOW" what I am doing.  :)

Any advice????

mike heitz ** sr it manager ** UPSHOT
312-943-0900 x5190