Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring Tools

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 13:56:26 +0200

On 2003-06-06 Chris Burton wrote:
I am looking for a tool that I can load on a Windows 98 System that
once the user logs on the tool will capture everything the user does
and allows for playback.  This tools output may need to hold up in
court.

If there are any costs involved please let me know.

The computer has a legal notice and my client believes that he is
violating the stated policy.

I may be wrong, but I don't think this is possible, since Windows 98
does not provide any measures to effectively restrict the users
permissions. Probably there exists some program running as a "service",
but I don't see how you could prevent the user from replacing it with
its own version. So I doubt there is a chance of making the tools output
bulletproof enough.

Best regards
Ansgar Wiechers

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm