Security Basics mailing list archives

Re(2): Possible new virus?

From: "Lee Rich" <lee.rich () wlga gov uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:07:32 +0100

Chris, in a later posting, Matt has stated that 'another' machine has been reported to have the same symptoms; these
machines may be just a small handful of machines who have the same problem but have not been reported yet due to the
area covered by 'Internet' Technical support.

Also, the idea that the message and beeping may be a red herring should not be cast aside. For all these systems to
suffer the same fault dispite manufacurer or warranty state. Seems a little iffy to me andI wouldn't be surprised if
there is actually nothing wrong with the cooling system. Saying it's a hardware problem would assume that each firmware
reports an identical message for the problem. Not to mention that some firmware may not even be able to report such an
issue.

-Lee Rich
security () wlga gov uk