Security Basics mailing list archives

Re(2): Possible new virus?

From: Occams Razor <occamsraser () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:29:19 -0700 (PDT)

There certainly is a remote possibility that these 3
machines have been infected by some mysterious virus
the purpose of which is to convince the user that
their fan is malfuctioning.  It is much, much, much,
more likely that indeed something in the environment
is causing the fan to malfunction.

If someone passes me in the hall and tells me that my
shoe is on fire, my first reaction would be to check
and see if my shoe is indeed on fire.  I would not run
back to my cube and send a message all around the
world asking if anyone has heard of a social
engineering hack where the attacker tells the victim
their shoe is on fire BEFORE checking to see if my
shoe is on fire.

Likewise, if my computer told me that, "cpu cooling
fan is malfunctioning," the very FIRST thing I would
do is check if indeed the cpu cooling fan is
malfunctioning.

Has the skill set of the average "Assistant Network
Administrator" really degraded to the point that we
must accept as normal the posting to a worldwide
mailling list with tens of thousands of readers as the
FIRST troubleshooting step?

Yours,
Occam