Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Prohibiting Chat Software Activation on Client Machines

From: Scott.Swenka () sunhealth org
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:27:14 -0700

I dont believe there is a way on the server side either. But our
implementation is using

Verso Technologies Netspective WebFilter, it does not sit inline, it simply
"sniffs" a port on the switch that is mirrored/spanned that goes to the
internet connection.  It's very effective, they can download the software
(if your not blocking that catagory), it will let them install it, but when
they goto connect
to the chat server, it simply will break the connection and send a reset to
the requested server stopping the connection. All the user sees is a
timeout as their requests are never making it even outside of the network.
You can even tie this in NDS and AD to translate the users IP address to
their login name, and know exactly when they tried to use the client. Same
goes for P2P services.

http://www.verso.com/enterprise/access/netspective/index.html

Scott S.

                    Lindner
                    <lindner_marek       To:     security-basics () securityfocus com
                    @yahoo.de>           cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: Prohibiting Chat Software Activation on Client Machines
                    02/08/2004
                    02:46 PM

SHELDON QUINNY schrieb:

Hi Guys...

I am loooking for an software that can control chat
software on client machine....

I got and windwos 2000 server install and
isa...server...and i want an software thatt i can
install on my server and then control the clien
machines i.e not allowing them to open any chat
softwares so that they can chat....

if any one has any software in mind ..pls could u
contirbute ur knowledge and is there anyway if u can
conrtol client pc thru polices in windows 2000
server...

pls let me know how can this be posible...

thank you

sheldon

I think there is no way to achieve this with the windows policies or any
other software. How should any policy or software distinguish between a
"normal" program or a chatprogram ??
A solution could be to route all traffic through a single machine and
their you restrict the access to the internet.
Example: Your clients are allowed to browse the net, send Mail via SMTP
and receive Mail via POP3.  So, you allow HTTP,SMTP and POP3 and block
the rest.
You could even increase your control by using proxies.

Regards,
Marek

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,

and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php