Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Help Needed

From: Byron Sonne <blsonne () rogers com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:33:41 -0500

Can somebody tell a the name of a tool that can be used to send ICMP packet
of size > 64K on windows. i have to crash a machine using ping of death as
my first assignment in Pen-Testing class. i am unable to do this using the
biult in ping utilities in windows and linux. i could not find any tool on
the internet as well.

You didn't look very hard then... that is, if you really are 'in Pen-Testing class' my friend ;)

Drop to a shell on *nix and type 'man ping'. I'm running SuSE 8.2 and I found this option, which is also present in the ping on my OpenBSD box:

        -s packetsize
        Specifies  the number of data bytes to be sent.  The default is
        56, which translates into 64 ICMP data bytes when combined with
        the 8 bytes of ICMP header data.

You'll probably have issues if you aren't root.

I've seen other stuff available for windows but that was some time ago and I don't remember much. You're at a serious, serious disadvantage if you want to do pen testing or serious security work and you're only going to use windows.

Some places to look for stuff:
http://www.packetstormsecurity.org
http://www.insecure.org/tools.html

Quite honestly, you could probably lurk and use nothing but the www.packetstormsecurity.org site and get all you need off there. It's one of the best resources period.

--

For Good, return Good. For Evil, return Justice.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html