Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VPN overkill?

From: "Keith Bucknall" <keith.bucknall () zen co uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:52:53 -0000

Ted

Hi here, I would like to add my views on this as I am responsible for over
45 VPN connections from our remote offices into a central office.  Before I
joined my boss had a very basic setup with ADSL (cheap) routers, client side
VPN DUN and a windows 2000 server as the concentrator.

We have slowly moving forward with cisco 837 routers, site to site VPN's
where the clients can be part of the interal IP schema.  In researching this
I proposed the following, a 505 Concentrator in the main office with a
separate 2MB line (due to the number of offices with have), with either a
small Pix or 837 in the remote locations.

Now I know that if you already have a Pix the 515e can support up to 100
connections but I am told if you terminate more than 50 then performance can
be an issue.

Hope this helps

Keith