Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VPN overkill?

From: "Jeff Gercken" <JeffG () kizan com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:54:10 -0500

I usually choose hardware first on function then scale.  If a pix will
do the crypt functions in software and the cpu can handle the load then
go for it.  If, however, you expect to peg it then look for something
that can handle more traffic (either by increasing the processing might
or by moving it to hardware).

If you know how much traffic you're sending and know which cypher you'd
like to use it should be fairly trivial for a Cisco Presales Engineer to
point you to the right product.

-Jeff