Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tutorial on Batch files and scripting

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 15:32:22 +0200

On 2004-10-06 Ferland wrote:
Anyone know any good tutorial on Batch files?
I need to create .bat files (to use with the cmd.exe shell) that
automate task on a Windows XP OS like :
  - Keep a log of a registry keys (and compare backup file with the
new one to see if there is changes...)  ex: REG QUERY
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ResKit /v Version >> RegistryResKiT.log
  - Keep a log of current connections

And advanced batch scripting could be usefull for that job.

I learned CMD scripting by reading the help:

C:\> help
C:\> help <command>

A good source for sample scripts is [1]. However, for monitoring the
registry I would prefer VBS over CMD.

[1] http://www.fpschultze.de/bsh.htm

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."