Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Intro To Hacking

From: Greg Tracy <greg () sixx com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:59:44 -0500

Hi,

I have built a web server and I would like to practice hacking it
remotely. Are there any tutorials or a good introductory book that
takes one step by step through the process of 'owning' an unsecured box?

Ummm...   yeah, kinda...  But may I ask, first, what this is for?
Work?  Play?  Class?

Offhand, I'd say it was for learning, but I always look at the best in
people.

Here are the stats:

FreeBSD 4.10 (not updated for about a month)
Default security profile
Apache 2
PHP 4.3.8
No SSI
No firewall
On a university network

Before you go potentially getting yourself in trouble, why not see if you
can find a couple boxes, duplicate the setup you mentioned above and try
penetrating it in a closed network? That profile would work easily on older
PCs which can be picked up for cheap. I'd go that route before thinking
about what you're suggesting. Not worth the trouble.

/G