Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:06:09 -0700

Awesome points and advise Ansgar. One of your lasty emails also echoed
what I had sent in. Great minds think alike. =D

Well, in most cases. I still strongly believe in a personal firewall,
as well as a hardware router or firewall. A router will do nothing to
stop outgoing connections. Granted, having all the ports filtered will
certainly provide protection beyond nothing at all, if they leave the
default password/settings on the router, it's not much better then
nothing at all. (Though I believe Linksys, Dlink, and Netgear now at
least disable remote management and upgrades by default.)

A personal software firewall should be installed on any home computer
with Internet access, especially those on broadband. (As I pointed out
in another discussion on this list, even Microsoft finally realized
this and included a personal firewall; the Windows Firewall; in XP
SP2.)

Besides that I'm behind what Ansgar said. =)

--
Peace. ~G

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 02:43:29 +0200, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers