Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 02:03:52 +0200

On 2004-09-29 Darren Kirby wrote:
Anyway, I found a directory right in C: named 'Downloads', and inside
were about 50 or so files, which were all warez, porn, windows
exploits and cracker 'howto's. Quite obviously this computer is owned,
and is being used as a warez server. I deleted the files, booted win,
but they reappeared after about 10 minutes. The strange thing is that
these files are ALL 29k, and all have filenames like:

Adobe Photoshop crack.exe
Smashing the Stack.txt.exe
Eminem - full album.mp3.exe
Office 2003 full.exe

Probably some sort of virus.

On further inspection I found an identical directory at
C:/windows/Downloaded Program Files/. God only knows how many trojans
and other nasties are sprinkled around...
[...]
Seems that a complete OS reinstall is in order,

Definitely yes.

but it seems to me that if they can own her box once they can own it
again just as easy, which leads me to this list...I would like to try
some investigating, and try to figure out where the backdoor is, what
exactly they are doing...

First you should take an image of the system (just in case).

Is file and printer sharing installed and bound to the dialup-adapter?
That is one route the infection may have happened. Another possible
route is using IE/OE for web/mail. However, since Windows 98 doesn't
produce many logs, identifying the malware may be the most promising
approach.

I would say a live analysis should be sufficent in your case. Use some
sort of process viewer (like PrcView [1] or Process Explorer [2]) to
find out, what processes are currently running. The Task-Manager won't
suffice. Since you're familiar with Linux, the UnxUtils [3] may be
useful as well.

Use netstat or TCPView [4] to find out, if there are unusual open ports.

Use Silent Runners [5] or SysInternal's autoruns [6] to take a look at
what software is started automatically and from where. Feed those files
to a virus scanner with most recent signatures. The scan should *not* be
run from the live system. Rather copy the files to another box and scan
them on that box.

Running strings [7] against the files may give some additional pointers.

HTH

[1] http://www.teamcti.com/pview/prcview.htm
[2] http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
[3] http://unxutils.sf.net/
[4] http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml
[5] http://www.silentrunners.org/
[6] http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
[7] http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#strings

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."