Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'; Re:

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:26:46 +0200

On 2004-10-08 GuidoZ wrote:
I'm open to other ideas too from anyone - the situation in a nutshell
is an orgranization I support needs to migrate away from IE. (The
users really can't handle the spyware and such, no matter how hard I
try to educate and prevent.) The only thing holding them back from
switching is a proprietary ActiveX application that they use to
interface with their data warehouse.

I would try to lock down IE and limit access to localhost and the data
warehouse host by setting the proxy to 127.0.0.1:9 except for localhost
and the data warehouse host. These settings can be enforced through
group policies or local policies (if you don't have a Windows 200[03]
domain controller at hand). That way they could use IE for the data
warehousing application, but not for surfing the web.

HTH

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."