Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Security

From: Kevin Reiter <tux () penguinnetwerx net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:19:12 -0400

Herman Frederick Ebeling, Jr. wrote:

I've got a question (actually a few) along these lines.  Let's say that a person
has a Wi-Fi network setup at home.
And they find out that some of their neighbors have accessed it.

They should've taken the time to properly configure their network using WEP/WPA/RADIUS/etc. so there isn't any outside/unwanted access.

A)      What if any obligation to the neighbors does the person who initially setup
the Wi-Fi network have?

None. It's not the neighbor's network, and unless they have a written agreement in place (which I highly doubt they do) there's nothing the neighbors can do about it if the owner decides to pull the plug on it or slap a fat padlock around it.

B)      What happens IF one neighbor goes in and reads/deletes msgs/files from
another neighbor's computer is the person who
initially setup the Wi-Fi network for their own use liable?

If there is bona fide proof (logs, etc.) that this happened, the person doing the invasive actions is liable, and depending on which country this happens to take place in, laws vary. Unauthorized access is still unauthorized access.

C)      Can the person who initially setup the Wi-Fi network legally go in and look
around his/her neighbors computers?

No. It's not their property, even if they're providing Internet access to other parties, either willingly or unwillingly. That's also unauthorized access.

D)      What if one the neighbors get a virus, is the person who initially setup the
Wi-Fi network liable?

Not that I know of, but this is still under debate. That's like suing an ISP if you get a virus. They provide the vehicle to get online, but it's up to you to take the proper steps to protect yourself from viruses, intrusions, etc. If you're using an unauthorized network (i.e. using someone else's poorly configured wireless network to gain Internet access without permission) and something happens to you, it's your own fault.

E)      What if any expectations to privacy do the unauthorized users have?

If they are accessing a network without permission, that's illegal. There shouldn't be any expectations regarding privacy, and if there are, someone needs to be more informed in this area.

Herman

Kevin