Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard drives v. CF/Smart media/etc.

From: FocusHacks <focushacks () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:36:19 -0500

 However,
regardless of what you use (PGP vs other wiping utility) I'd say that it
is the same on flash media as it is on a HD.

I can't make that connection.  I'm not rocket scientists, but that's
an apples to oranges comparison.  One being magnetic media, and the
other being chip-based.  Wipes and trace residuals are not going to
behave in the same manner.  I think further investigation is required.

I was unaware that flash media randomly allocated sectors and emulated
this to the OS.  I do remember something about a few extra invisible
secotrs that can be called to active duty if there's an error
somewhere else, but I had forgotten about that aspect.

I'd say with relative certainty that completely filling the media with
random crap would suffice.  i.e. dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

Also, I'm not a serious hardcore NSA data recovery expert, but from
what I know, they use electron scanning microscopes to turn back the
pages of time.  Also, from what I know, getting to the silicon surface
of something like xD or SmartMedia without breaking something isn't
really that easy of a task, even if there is some sort of residual
physical evidence of previous contents.

--
http://www.FocusHacks.com - The Ford Focus Modification Site!