Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard drives v. CF/Smart media/etc.

From: Alloishus BeauMains <all0i5hu5 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:50:09 -0500

Yes and no. Delete may have a recovery option.

However, formatting a drive with flash memory offers no protection
that I know of, unless the information is cached (backed up) to a
seperate media.

The reason is that flash memory is either there or it isn't, as
determined by chip/connection logic.

However, on a normal hard drive or floppy disc with platters, there is
a magnetic resonance that is left behind, so even if the electrons are
scrambled, it is possible to still retrieve that information.

So this leads to a side question: How to keep others from retrieving
information from one of those media varieties?

Answer: There are two ways: 1. Destroy the media. 2. Overwrite the
media with garbage (Although this won't utterly completely keep
someone from retrieving the information....whoever wanted it would
have to pay dearly).

I am not aware of any tools that do data retrieval from a flash drive
unless it is being copied to another location...so if anyone knows of
anything different, let me know.