Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Server Losing Hard Disk Space

From: "Rob Thompson" <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:15:57 -0800

On 11/29/06, Dan Denton <ddenton () paylessoffice com> wrote:
I have a win2k which has been steadily losing disk space for the last
few days at a rate of half a gig a day or more. Can anyone point me in
the direction of a tool that will allow me to see which files have
increased in size between determined intervals? Any help is
appreciated...

Just to start off, I would use the basic search function built into
Windows by default.  It's fast and already there.

Click:

Start / Search / For files or folders / (On the left in the green) All
files and folders

Select your hard drives that you need to check.

I would adjust the 'When was it modified" field.

For "What size is it", you could leave this blank, though I would
recommend checking for anything 10MB and larger.

Under "More advanced options" make sure the top 3 selections are
checked to enable "System and hidden files are checked as well as down
to the subfolder."

Dan Denton
Information Technology Manager, CCNA
Pay-LESS Office Products