Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Server Losing Hard Disk Space

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 30 Nov 2006 19:32:04 -0000

Good question!
Some tools to check out:
SpaceObserver
$$ version can be scheduled to auto scan and hold reports!
http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/

SpaceMonger
nice visualization
http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/

If you seem to have large chunks of space just disappearing and these tools don't show it, there is the remote
possibility that someone is uploading files into Alternate Data Stream (ADS). This is rare, but has been known to
happen.

http://www.wikistc.org/wiki/Alternate_data_streams
This link talks about ADS, but if you want to get to the point and search for their use, click the Searching for
streams section and you'll see tools like LADS and LNS.

(disclaimer: some apps legitimately use ADS, so for anyone trying those tools out, please be careful if you decide to
muck with the results...)

<- snip ->

I have a win2k which has been steadily losing disk space for the last
few days at a rate of half a gig a day or more. Can anyone point me in
the direction of a tool that will allow me to see which files have
increased in size between determined intervals? Any help is
appreciated...