Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: "Colin Copley" <colin.75 () btinternet com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:54:20 -0000

"gaurav saha" wrote:
I was wondering if it is possible to locate and catch
a guy who is connecting to our wep wireless network
and downloading stuff from torrents and using up our
bandwidth ..
I checked up with arp scan and found 2 unknown IPs
192.168.1.246 and 247
Is there anyway of locating the guy in a building of 7
floors and how to stop this ..I have tried changing
the Wep keys so . he is cracking the wep key.
Any Suggestion People ?
---gaurav

If u can use WPA. Use a strong passkey, like 48 random chars, he's screwed.
If not (get a new one that does?) or look out a manual for your router and
see what other possibilities you've got for restricting / securing your
network.
Cheers
Colin