Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: Roman Shirokov <insecure () yandex ru>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:18:32 +0000

Hi

You wrote 29 ноября 2006 г., 17:17:15:

Hi ,
I was wondering if it is possible to locate and catch
a guy who is connecting to our wep wireless network
and downloading stuff from torrents and using up our
bandwidth ..
I checked up with arp scan and found 2 unknown IPs
192.168.1.246 and 247
Is there anyway of locating the guy in a building of 7
floors and how to stop this ..I have tried changing
the Wep keys so . he is cracking the wep key.
Any Suggestion People ?
---gaurav

You may try authentication based on MAC-address of client machine.
Although attacker may be able to spoof MAC-address too. I think you
need a complex desicion, based on strong cryptography (WPA2),
mac-address filtering, proxy-server (where you autheticate users with
login and pass), etc..

--
Best regards,
 Roman