Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: RE: MS in information security

From: student () uncc edu
Date: 7 Feb 2006 16:15:41 -0000

I agree with you about knowledge, but do not forget the importance of teachability. Sure someone can have expert
knowledge in an area and live on that knowledge, but what happens when it becomes stale or proven wrong. When looking
at a piece of paper (i.e. resume) how do YOU distinguish knowledge versus teachability?

Personally, when I reviewed resumes, I looked at education first then looked toward certifications. While technical
degrees were important, especially at the graduate level, I looked for liberal arts degrees more. I found most success
with those who studied the classical languages and mythology. They had developed a methodology that translated well to
troubleshooting. All I had to do was give them the technical aptitude which most picked up in weeks not months. I also
looked for AA degrees when I had immediate needs because I found they could hit the ground running faster than BSCS
graduates. They just tended to burnout faster.

Just a note on PhD holders. My success with these candidates has been mixed. If you get one that understands how little
anyone knows, itÂ’s great. However, one that thinks they have arrived and know all can be a cancerous pain to be
avoided. When considering a PhD applicant, interview carefully. There are potentially great rewards with these
candidates.

On to the certification only applicants... Again, I see these for immediate needs. But, even then my success has been
limited. Many times, I find cert-only folks turn out to be paper pushers without any real knowledge. A key question I
ask these folks is when they passed the first exam and when they passed the last exam.

- CB

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus