Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: application for an employment

From: Woods_Beau () dkmc org
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:01:33 -0500

To use your analogy of rattling a doorknob, assume that the OP were
applying for a security guard position.  Now assume that on his way to
drop off his application, he rattled a couple of doorknobs and found that
a few of the ones marked "keep locked at all times" were unlocked.  Do you
think the University would want to know about it?  My suggestion would be
that you let the University know about it after they have made their
hiring decision.  If you get the job, this would be an acceptible use of
your time to scan for open ports.  If you don't get the job, you can just
send an email to the netadmin or whomever you might be in contact with
there.

-----
Beau Woods
Information Security Analyst
DeKalb Medical Center
(404)501-3825
beau_woods () dkmc org

"Craddock, Larry" <l_craddock () wfec com>
03/24/2006 02:59 PM

<security-basics () securityfocus com>
cc

Subject
RE: application for an employment

Seems to me port scanning is neither picking a lock or seeing a door
hanging
wide open but more like rattling a door to see if it is unlocked. I don't
know about you, but if someone comes by my house and rattles the door to
check whether or not it's locked I'm going to assume he has bad intentions
whether he does or not and he'll need to be prepared for my response.