Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: application for an employment

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:07:34 +1100

Assuming again that all points are public. An Internet connected host
may not be public. An example of this world include a VPN server or a
OWA system even. These could be on a separate non-private VPN making
them private and not public. How do you know what is "public" and what
is "private". Further if private and public services are on the same
host but using differently ports you may just be asking for trouble.

Still it is a little risky for me. I have do a lot of valid tests where
taking all precautions a system had rebooted. Criminally charged because
of an accident is not a case I would like to be in. Being that the
action is going to be held as negligent than you are still likely to be
found guilty if damage was proved from the outage (a fair possibility
dependant on the system).

Again, A simple SYN scan is not likely to get you into trouble - but why
take the risk. A Nessus scan does far more than this and checking
vulnerabilities requires that a connection is made in most instances.

At the end of the day much of this will depend on the ability of the
lawyers on each side and if the prosecutor has a point to make.

From a point of hiring the person, the risk is above the limit I would
accept and this means that they would not have a hope of getting my
sign-off.

Being that I work for a professional services firm (Chartered), the acts
and standards that apply to the profession would not allow this type of
action, so how could we take a risk to the firm (different to a Uni of
course) that the prospect would amend his/her ways?

Regards
Craig