Security Basics mailing list archives

traffic creation

From: Oğuz Yarımtepe <comp.ogz () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 04:47:44 +0300

Hi all,

In my test environment i have some servers (web, time, dns, email, ftp). And
they are connected to some firewalls. What i want to do is to test my
firewall rules by creating a traffic and see whether the packages are passing
and reaching to the servers or not.

As i read, hping is the tool for creating packages. So i may try to send some
TCP packages with -S flag to their open ports (80, 21 ...) and expect
packages with SA flag.

First of all is this a true approach?

Second, i want to create a random traffic like a real internet environment,
like some hosts are requesting service from my servers, trying to reach them,
and analyze the traffic and see the results as "oh ok this ip had been
restricted to my web server from firewall A and it seems the rule is
correct". So i am open to all ideas and solution about creating this test
environment. Thanx.

--
Oğuz Yarımtepe
http://www.yarimtepe.com/en