Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Mcafee and Norton Anti Virus definition version

From: "Mason, Samuel" <SMason () mt gov>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:26:15 -0700

IIRC, McAfee cycles their update not thru registry but through the version of the DATDET.MCS file. I no longer have any
installs of this product but worked with GFI to make LANGuard better at detecting updates of this product (tho I cannot
confirm if this happened since we switched to NOD32 partway through this process).

As for Norton you can try looking at HKLM\Software\Symantec\SharedDefs for the "DefWatch" or "DefAlert" values,
depending on your version, to see if they correlate to anything. I don't have this product either so I can't promise
this will help but it seems to be where LANGuard looks for version info.

Samuel Mason CISSP, GCFA