Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Engineer vs. Network Security Engineer

From: "gig" <gigabit () satx rr com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:07:35 -0600

Johnathan,

The only answer to your question that matters is: what does your management want?

Every organization does things differently, dependant on size, complexity, regulatory requirements and especially the capabilities of the people involved.

I manage the security team for a small sized financial institution and I have chosen to make my team more of a security assurance group that is mostly out of operational day to day activities. Almost like an internal IT Audit division...except with a clue (sorry auditors!).

My best advice to you is that you map out the hourly/daily/weekly processes that you believe are necessary and have your management decide who should own those responsibilities. My guess is, one of you will be unhappy with the decision but at least you will have some top-down support.

good luck.

gig

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnathan" <martinez85 () att blackberry net>