Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UnixWare

From: mcn () nostromo c3 lanl gov (Michael Neuman)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 08:11:22 -0600 (MDT)

Carl Corey says:
I have everything secured as far as that goes.  I have set all permissions,
regulated suid files, I have tcpwrapper and tripwire running, I also run a
slightly modified COPS weekly, mailing any diff to me.

This is NOT what I meant. I explicitly mean that you should go beyond
simply leaving the machine as shipped and should actively remove
existing SUID facilities to the extent possible and change all
persistant system processes to run unprivileged if at all possible. I
do not merely mean "regulating" SUID facilities. I really mean
actively yanking them out and replacing them with non-SUID facilities.
I also mean eliminating openings like world writable utmp files,
devices, etc.

If you do enough of that, you make your system inherently secure.

  Huh? You go ahead and belive that. Personally, I can think of all sorts
  of security flaws at the kernel level that have NOTHING to do with setuid
  programs. (And then, I can also think of a few associated with programs
  that CAN'T be run non-setuid).

  Basically, the only solution is to keep up with the current bugs and
  install the latest patches, make as many things non-setuid as possible,
  and watch out for permission problems. For the latter two, Cops can
  help termendously. For the former, something better than bugtraq is
  needed. CERT reacts far too slowly to reported holes. I'd much rather
  shut down some functionality on my system to wait for a patch than
  leave systems wide open while waiting for a report to come from CERT.

-Mike