Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ICMP filtering?

From: ccdes () ccdes princeton nj us (Carl Corey)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 03:33:58 -0500

In a previous message ccdes () ccdes princeton nj us wrote
I know we are getting a cisco router, and I have a question for anyone -
what is the latest version of the router software I need to run to keep
fake ICMP packets from reaching my hosts?  I believe that this was a
somewhat recent upgrade by cisco, thus the presence of nuke.c or whatever
being used to annoy people.

Is this true?  If so, I'd be interested to know how this is implemented
and also what software revision is required.  We use quite a few routers
here, some Cisco, some not.  I don't see how one could filter 'fake'
icmp destination unreachable messages without actually filtering all
real ones as well.

I believe that a majority of the packets "nuking" connections out there are
not perfect fakes; they are distinguishable from the real thing.