Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ruserok() & /etc/hosts.equiv

From: wietse () wzv win tue nl (Wietse Venema)
Date: Sat, 21 May 94 16:42:23 MET DST

Uwe Ellermann wrote:
There is the "-l" option in the BSD sources, which does exactly this...

...but it's not supported on Sun and DEC UNIX.
It is in AIX (according to the man-page).

To install this feature on SunOS, this is roughly what I have done:
1) got the BSD sources (available via anonFTP from ?)
2) compiled rlogind.c and rcmd.c (for ruserok())
3) installed with -l option

This works for SunOS 4.1.x.
On SunOS 5.3 I use a modified source from Wietse Venema's logdaemon-4.1
(FTP: ftp.win.tue.nl or
      ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de: /pub/security/tools/net/logdaemon).

The logdaemon rshd/rlogind now have direct support for the '-l' option
to skip user .rhosts files. In addition, '+' wildcards are no longer
supported. All this should work with SunOS 4.x and 5.x, and Ultrix 4.x.

        Wietse