Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: AIX rlogind

From: mrgreen () mame mu oz au (matthew green)
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 16:32:42 +1000

Kevin Johnson writes:
:The rlogind on my machine (a Motorola r32 box) using the shadow 3.3.x
:package does not exhibit the bug.  I'm wondering if it's a composite
:bug between certain implementations of rlogind and login.  I am of the
:opinion that this is an important point to resolve due to the variety
:of alternative implementations of rlogind and login out there...

Yes, it's a composite problem.  The shadow-3.3.X login program makes
all the correct tests. it's not directly the fault of the code in
lmain.c.  However: it makes one basic assumption .. and that is that

the reason some ports of shadow are `bad' and some aren't
is directly related to how the getopt(3) routine works
on that os.  if it allows "-froot" to mean the same as
"-f root", then it's going to be ``buggy''.