Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Wanted: hackers for tiger team (new england area)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu (Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 13:41:09 +22306356

On Sun, 09 Oct 1994 10:57:37 EDT, you said:
One problem with tiger teams that I have difficulty getting through to
clients on is that a tiger teams can not prove that the system is
trustworthy. It can uncover holes in the security model, (when I do
tiger team work, I get full details of the firewall/security
installation), show that things aren't working as expected, but it
doesn't prove that things are secure.

"Testing can reveal the presence of bugs, but not their absence" - E. Dijkstra.

Amen.

/Valdis