Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Internet Worm

From: strat () ksu ksu edu (Steve Davis)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 06:38:33 -0500

Various methods of making users' and administrators' lives a pain
deleted.

Brett Lymn writes:

This should stop the user creating a .rhosts file as there is a
directory there with that name.

Seems to me that we would all be better served by running daemons that
don't trust the user to determine valid remote authentication.  Why not
fix the r-daemons and login to ignore these files?  This is certainly
possible if a) you have source, and b) you're a competant enough
programmer to #ifdef the necessary bits of code into oblivion.

Unfortunatly, a) is rarely true.  It'd be nice if vendors would ship
their products secure.

--
                                             Steve Davis <strat () ksu ksu edu>
                                                     Kansas State University