Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Internet Worm

From: perry () imsi com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 18:02:17 -0400

"Jonathan M. Bresler" says:
      BUGGER the vendors.  what with FreeBSD, linux, NetBSD, 4.4BSD
Lite and the rest of source code available UNIX operating systems.  get
the source.  read the source.  use the source.  after all its ours now!
the owner-de-jour of the code has declared 4.4BSD Lite free of taint.
[...]
      anyone want to create drop in replacement packages for sun, sgi
and the rest of the hardware vendors?

Try fixing a kernel bug with non-vendor sources. Hell, try fixing most
problems with non-vendor sources. Furthermore, my clients pay lots of
money for software support so that they don't have to fix the problems
themselves. Frankly, I think you are absolutely and completely wrong
on this.

.pm