Bugtraq mailing list archives

security problem w/ smail

From: jwa () pine cse nau edu (james w abendschan)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 10:26:28 -0700

I've discovered a bug in smail 3.1.28.1 -- it allows any local user
to read any file.  A quick way to fix this is to put -smtp_debug
in your smail config.

I'll post an exploit script after a couple of days -- enough time
hopefully for people to take some action.

I've also tried to contact the makers of smail, but the only address
I have [smail-bugs () veritas com] bounces.  Anyone who has a more
accurate address, please mail me with it.

FYI, many linux distributions ship with smail 3.1.28.1.

James

--
James Abendschan         jwa () pine cse nau edu         change for the machines