Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security Info (root broken)

From: pug () arlut utexas edu (Pug)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 07:41:03 -0600 (CDT)

On Thu, 29 Sep 1994 07:04:44 -0600 (CDT), Pug <pug () arlut utexas edu> said:
    >> This was a new
    >> install, and it lasted about 4 days.   One person heard thru the cracker
    >> grapvine that root was broken thru /bin/mail.
    P> Did you happen to install the following, in particular 101436-02?
    P> Solaris 1.1.1 Patches Containing Security Fixes:
    P> ------------------------------------------------
    P> 101436-02   SunOS 4.1.3_U1: bin/mail jumbo patch
This is the patch which made the race condition *easier* to exploit
than it was in the unpatched version.

As I remember the race condition, you don't have a problem if you don't
allow the 'r' commands into your system. The race condition created a
.rhosts file for accounts that had UID 0, but no existing .rhosts file.
I can't find my copy of the exploit anymore to be certain. As well, you
had to start on the system, so it wasn't that much of an external job
anyway.

I see allowing 'r' commands into your installation as a Bad Thing anyway.

Ciao,

--
Richard Bainter          Mundanely     |    System Analyst        - OMG/CSD
Pug                      Generally     |    Applied Research Labs - U.Texas