Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security Info (root broken)

From: cklaus () shadow net (Christopher Klaus)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 94 17:18:25 EDT

On Thu, 29 Sep 1994 07:04:44 -0600 (CDT), Pug <pug () arlut utexas edu> said:
    >> This was a new
    >> install, and it lasted about 4 days.   One person heard thru the cracker
    >> grapvine that root was broken thru /bin/mail.
    P> Did you happen to install the following, in particular 101436-02?
    P> Solaris 1.1.1 Patches Containing Security Fixes:
    P> ------------------------------------------------
    P> 101436-02   SunOS 4.1.3_U1: bin/mail jumbo patch
This is the patch which made the race condition *easier* to exploit
than it was in the unpatched version.

As I remember the race condition, you don't have a problem if you don't
allow the 'r' commands into your system. The race condition created a
.rhosts file for accounts that had UID 0, but no existing .rhosts file.
I can't find my copy of the exploit anymore to be certain. As well, you
had to start on the system, so it wasn't that much of an external job
anyway.

I see allowing 'r' commands into your installation as a Bad Thing anyway.

I agree that removing the .rhosts ability is a good idea, but it would be
just as easy for an intruder to use the race condition to overwrite the
password file with their own root account unless this particular bug
doesnt allow overwriting files.  Or they could create a .forward file
to gain the root's permissions. I am sure there are other methods
to subvert the machine, if allowed to write root owned files.

--
Christopher William Klaus  <cklaus () shadow net>  <iss () shadow net>
Internet Security Systems, Inc.         Computer Security Consulting