Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Exploit for Linux wu.ftpd hole

From: shields () tembel org (Michael Shields)
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 23:33:54 +0000

minicom has a known, but not very well-known hole in it that is nearly
identical to the wu-ftp hole. If you are a legitimate user of a pre 1.71
version of minicom, you can get root,

What is minicom doing as root?  It should be setgid dialout.

Is Slackware really doing that?

There also apepars to be a bug in syslog. If you do something like:

grep -v "ROOT" messages > mmm; mv mmm messages

This isn't a security hole since users shouldn't be able to write to
/var/log/messages.

Logging is disabled, I suspect this problem is that the file pointer
maintained by syslog is getting ahead of the physical EOF, and thus
writes will fail, but this is just a guess, and I havent looked at the
source to linux's syslog.

When you move something on top of messages, messages is unlinked.
The file is still open, but no longer accessible through the directory
structure.
--
Shields.