Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Jul 9 08:06:03 all inetd[122]: httpd/tcp server failing

From: perry () imsi com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 07:34:02 -0400

"Dr. Frederick B. Cohen" writes:
        I was trying a loop test to stress performance on our secure W3
server and found that inetd under SunOS detects what it thinks to be
loops and shuts down all httpd services untill a kill -HUP is sent to
the inetd process.  How is this bug/feature controlled, and doesn't this
lead very directly to denial of services attacks?

Jul  9 08:06:03 all inetd[122]: httpd/tcp server failing (looping), service t
erminated

BUGTRAQ is for security holes, not for vendor features, no matter how
misguided. Having said that:

This is in fact a standard Berkeley inetd feature -- you need source
to turn it off, although I believe Sun has a "patch" for 4.1.x that
consists of an inetd with an option to turn off the "feature".

.pm