Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Exploit for Linux wu.ftpd hole

From: simes () tcp co uk (Simon Burr)
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 08:18:53 +0100

William McVey - wam said

Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:
They are needed to create ftp-data sockets (privileged port number).

Binding to a privileged port is what inetd is good for.  Still no
reason for ftpd to be root other than to do a chroot.  After the chroot
(which should happen in the first few executed statements), ftpd
should drop to some other user, like "ftp."

Ftpd needs to be root so that it can allow access to real users, using a
setuid() call. Also, since users have to log into the ftpd, some care has to
be done when getting the strings from the socket.

There is an interesting bit of info on the NCSA mailing lists about if a httpd
should make itself a non-privileged user the moment it can. The info it is at
http://union.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HyperNews/get/www/ncsa-httpd/1.4/requests/17.html

--
Simon Burr   (simes () tcp co uk)         |   http://www.tcp.co.uk/staff/simes/
Systems Manager and Programmer         |       Tel: (+44) 1703 393392