Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HP bomb barded my email with it FAQ (fwd)

From: anewton () basis com (Allen J. Newton)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 11:09:51 -0600

Dr. Frederick B. Cohen forwarded:
Subject:      HP bomb barded my email with it FAQ (fwd)
To: Multiple recipients of list BUGTRAQ <BUGTRAQ () CRIMELAB COM>
From firewalls-owner () GreatCircle COM Wed Jul 19 22:37:13 1995
From: Douglas Ramsey <dramsey () us DHL COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 18:34:58 -0700
Subject: HP bomb barded my email with it FAQ
[snip]
I am now getting email from people that are not sending the mail to me, this
includes many
news groups and the like. We have been tracing down all the route tables that
could have been
hosed. As of yet we have not found anything that suggests what is wrong.
Another side effect is
that a friend of mine is being sent some of this misguided mail from our
gateway. If anyone has
seen this problem before and know of an answer, please let me know.

Thought bugtraq might be the right place for this.

I have indeed seen something like this before.  The FAQ mailbomb is
standard fare, unfortunately.  The spurious email thing is done by
particularly pernicious individuals, and is difficult to deal with.

In my case, I posted something which offended a few members of a fringe
group with a Usenet posting, and one of them emailed a threat that I would
receive spurious email until I said something to make him feel good about
himself, or whatever.

I did receive blind-CC:'s of various strange email and also Usenet postings
from groups I don't subscribe to.  I forwarded the original threat to the
postmaster of the site it came from, with the explanation that the user had
made good on his threat.  Also, this was on my home site, where I have a
frontend filter to RMail which processes killfiles for users, and I stuck
every user I got strange unsolicited email from into that killfile,
resulting in the unsolicited email being sent back to them unread.

It took awhile to get rid of all of it, but I did, eventually.

If you can't make or obtain a frontend filter, or are receiving the mail
via SMTP, I would suggest posting your problem to a couple of Usenet
newsgroups:  news.admin.net-abuse.misc and alt.current-events.net-abuse are
a couple I can think of.  Also read news.admin.net-abuse.announce.

I hope you find what you need...

--
Allen J. Newton     BASIS International Ltd,  (505)-345-5232
5901 Jefferson NE,  Albuquerque, New Mexico   87109