Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SigSev -> Security Hole

From: brian () saturn net (Brian Mitchell)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 01:31:54 -0400

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Tim Smithers wrote:

In regards to the overrunning of arrays,
is the sigsev, core dumped a true indication of
an exploitable security hole?

I think quite a few suid binaries exhibit this behaviour
but how many are exploitable?

        -mouse

Perhaps im missing something, but I thought suid and sgid programs were
non-dumpable. As for the sigsegv itself, it generally means you are
stomping on memory that is not yours to stomp on, this may or may not be
exploitable.

Brian Mitchell                                          brian () saturn net
"I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell"
- H. Truman