Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: libresolv+ bug

From: proff () suburbia net (Julian Assange)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 20:27:30 +1000

But, as we all know, that's not a particularly effective solution to the
problem. The real problems, as I'm sure you'll agree, der Mouse, are that
SUID programs aren't being written carefully enough, library routines that
are potentially depended on by SUID programs aren't written with those
security issues in mind, and, in general, most Unix OS's give
"priveledged" programs that need to do one or two specific things far, far
too much power.

From what I have seen, stack exploits are considerably harder on Alpha
architecture as the mmu does not grant the stack exec permissions, and the
data space grows upwards, meaning that any over-written return address
must contain a NULL if you the trojan code there. Calling code in the
text segment, is still possible, if almost always futile.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons