Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IRIX 5.3 chost

From: gkaufman () cs uct ac za (Grant Kaufmann)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 10:26:27 +0200

There seems to be some problem with following my exploit. I
don't know if I'm running different patch versions or what, but
interstingly enough, I tried the exploit again this morning, and
chost (and most of the other programs in that directory) refused
to run, giving errors along the lines of "unable to contact
objectserver". I checked and there was only one copy of objectserver
running. When I rebooted, 2 copies were running, and all the programs
acted as normal.

So, to summarise, here is my system's configuration:

---
Script started on Wed Aug  7 10:03:11 1996
/usr/Cadmin/bin>ls -l chost cimport
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     sys       232160 Aug 29  1995 chost
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     sys       161896 Aug 29  1995 cimport
/usr/Cadmin/bin>uname -a
IRIX ebi 5.3 11091812 IP22 mips
/usr/Cadmin/bin>chost
Error is 5(Permission Denied)
Error is 5(Permission Denied)
/usr/Cadmin/bin>^D
script done on Wed Aug  7 10:04:07 1996
---

Notice that I also get the (Permission Denied) "error", but the
exploit still works fine.

Try the exploit for cimport, it follows the same principle:
---
/usr/Cadmin/bin/cimport
New
OK
OK
Cancel
double-click any of the mounted filesystems to bring up the desktopManager
---
I think this will only work if you are nfs-mounting filesystems, as I don't
know if there's another way to bring up desktopManager.

--
Grant