Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: mail storm

From: arikb () ccarik technion ac il (Arik Baratz)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:05:30 +0300

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Dan Stromberg wrote:

If this "attack" is feasible, it would seem the most effective
defense is to use only mailing list software, that requires a
magic-cookie authenticated response from subscribers.

How about a "Standard" cure: make sure EVERY mailing list includes some
special header in file it sends, and NEVER accept mail which contains that
header. I have seen X-Loop: used for this, but not for all the lists I've
seen.

There should be an exception - for list exploders.

            Arik Baratz, Regularus Studentus, iNTP, 4Z9DGE
http://ccarik.technion.ac.il/~arikb

finger arikb () aluf technion ac il for PGP key.