Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Not so much a bug as a warning of new brute force attack

From: hudson () mbay net (Stefan Hudson)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 09:49:34 -0700

Using the pop3 mechanism to crack user passwords

Given a file full of usernames and the standard 'dict file' one can
currently connect to the pop3 daemon and effiecently try passwords for a
user until the proper one is gotten or one runs out of passwords without any
noticeable effects on the server. I've tested this method myself using
several accounts and lots of random crap between valid passwords. A 3
account userfile with a 20k dictfile took appx 2 minutes to generare the
passwords for all 3 accounts.

Solution:

Implement random delay times, logging, and disconnection within the pop3
daemom

qpopper, the POP server from Qualcom (makers of Eudora for PeeCees) does
a 10 second delay and disconnects on a bad password.  It also logs EVERYTHING
to a file and is very configurable.  We've been using it for a few months
now, and it's worked very well.  See ftp.qualcomm.com:/quest/unix/servers.

--
     /// Stefan Hudson <hudson () mbay net>
__  /// Senior Network Administrator - Monterey Bay Internet