Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: brute force

From: gmaor () techunix technion ac il (Ze'ev Maor)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 23:21:55 +0300

Consider the following...
        Almost 99% of ftpd's installed around the net enable anonymous
logins to d/l the /etc/passwd file. Just get the file and re-code the
login source (VERY simple) to try all combinations on the root password
from the file you just d/l on YOUR OWN MACHINE - result:

        A. MUCH MUCH faster then doing it on the actual target machine.

        B. Completely safe - everything is done on your machine - I.E. no
logging is done anywhere!!!!

- Ze'ev Maor                | "We all have a little Daemon inside...      |
- gmaor () tx technion ac il   |  ...Waiting to come out and become a kernel"|