Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Not so much a bug as a warning of new brute force attack

From: dave () kachina jetcafe org (Dave Hayes)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:20:17 -0700

Seguridad <cdcsegu2 () cdcnet uniandes edu co> writes about POP3 attacks:
I think the solution isnt disable this port, the solution is just limit
the number of tries to enter the valid user/password (3 times max)..

My solution was to decouple the POP passwords from the account
passwords by having a separate POP password file.

However, isn't there a safer way of sending passwords over the network?
What's up with CHAP?
------
Dave Hayes - Altadena CA, USA - dave () jetcafe org
Freedom Knight of Usenet - http://www.jetcafe.org/~dave/usenet

           What we see depends on mainly what we look for.